[RFC] exposing 'nodedev assigned to domain' info to users

Daniel Henrique Barboza danielhb413 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 17:24:35 UTC 2021

On 1/6/21 8:13 AM, Erik Skultety wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 08:00:52AM -0300, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:

>>> That would mean nodedev-list has to fetch XML for every running guest
>>> and parse and extract it. That's not a scalable solution.

>>> This is similar to what we do for  the nwfilter-binding and net-port XML
>>> where we have an <owner> element present.
>>>
>>> The complication here is that right now we don't ever touch the nodedev
>>> driver when doing host device assignment, and so don't especially want
>>> to introduce a dependancy.
>>
>> One possible alternative would be a new API that operates on hostdevs instead
>> of nodedevs. "hostdev-list" would list the devices assigned to any domain, as
>> opposed to "nodedev-list" that lists all nodedevs of the host. I'm not sure if this
>> differentiation between hostdev and nodedev (i.e. hostdev is a nodedev that is
>> assigned to a domain) would be clear enough to users though. We would need to
>> document it clearer in the docs.
>
> Wasn't this about the connection to the nodedev though? E.g. with mdevs we only
> have a UUID in the domain XML which doesn't tell you anything about the device
> nor its parent and you also can't take the uuid and try finding the
> corresponding nodedev entry for it (well, you can hack it so that you construct
> the resulting nodedev name). Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the use case
> though.

This particular case I'm asking for comments is related to PCI hostdevs (namely,
SR-IOV virtual functions) that might get removed from the host, while being
assigned to a running domain. We don't support that (albeit I posted patches
that tries to alleviate the issue in Libvirt), and at the same time we don't
provide easy tools for the user to check whether a specific hostdev is
assigned to a domain. The user must query the running domains to find out.

About mdevs, isn't a mdev device created on demand via hypercalls to the physical
device driver, and threw away after use, the only real device being the parent?
I'm not sure whether there is a use case/requirement for knowing the parent
nodedev device. The parent device can be retrieved via sysfs AFAIC.

Thanks,

DHB