[Libvirt-cim] Difference in the value assigned to port field for Xen, KVM, LXC

Deepti B Kalakeri deeptik at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 27 10:28:20 UTC 2009

Kaitlin Rupert wrote:
> Deepti B Kalakeri wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to verify the KVMRedirectionSAP. I am seeing difference
>> in the way the port value is getting assigned.
>> I am trying to create a guest using DefineSystem(). Here is the
>> Details of the GraphicsRASD I am passing as part of the
>> ResourceSetting Parameter.
>>

>> KVM_GraphicsResourceAllocationSettingData {
>> InstanceID = "test_redsap_dom/graphics";
>> ResourceType = 24;
>> KeyMap = "en-us";
>> ResourceSubType = "vnc";
>> Address = "127.0.0.1:5931";
>> };
>>
>> My intention is to create a guest whose vnc port has a specific
>> value, ex: 5931 in the above case.
>> Though the guest is getting created, the dumpxml of the guest shows
>> that the port value is getting assigned to -1.
>> Hence the port part of the Address field in GraphicsRASD is set to
>> -1. Hence the port value in the ElementName/Name is supplied as -1.
>
> Hi Deepti,
>
> I'm not clear which virt type you are seeing this issue on.  Is this
> with LXC only?
Nopes this is not LXC only issue. I am seeing different problems for
different virt types.

For Xen & LXC:
Though the virsh shows the guest as running the EnabledState value for
Xen and LXC guest is still set to 3 instead of setting a value of 6.

For Xen:
I am not able to create a guest of desired port num for Graphics
information.
And the KVMRedirectionSAP's ElementName/Name is set to -1.

For KVM:

I am able to create a guest of desired port num for Graphics information.
And the KVMRedirectionSAP's ElementName/Name is set to the portnum
supplied to the graphics tag.
Also, the EnabledState value is set appropriately. For ex: when the
guest is running but the vnc session not in active use, it is getting
set to 6 [PS: I did not find the vncserver running on the host].
> I wasn't able to reproduce this use.  See below for the steps I
> followed.  Let me know if these steps don't work for you.
>

>> Also, though the virsh shows the guest as running the EnabledState
>> value for Xen and LXC guest is still set to 3 instead of setting a
>> value of 6.
>>

> The EnabledState of the KVMRedirectionSAP changes whenever the
> connection is available.  In this case, you'll need to be running a
> VNC server on your guest in order for the EnabledState to
> active/available.  Otherwise, the KVMRedirectionSAP is offline.
What steps will you follow to verify the EnabledState in the available
state value ?

> ===================================
>
> Steps to define an LXC guest with vnc graphics console:
>
> 1) Open file and define XML with the following:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <CIM CIMVERSION="2.0" DTDVERSION="2.0">
> <MESSAGE ID="5" PROTOCOLVERSION="1.0">
> <SIMPLEREQ>
> <METHODCALL NAME="DefineSystem">
> <LOCALINSTANCEPATH>
>  <LOCALNAMESPACEPATH>
>   <NAMESPACE NAME="root"/><NAMESPACE NAME="virt"/>
>  </LOCALNAMESPACEPATH>
>  <INSTANCENAME CLASSNAME="LXC_VirtualSystemManagementService">
>   <KEYBINDING NAME="CreationClassName">
>    <KEYVALUE
> VALUETYPE="string">LXC_VirtualSystemManagementService</KEYVALUE>
>   </KEYBINDING>
>   <KEYBINDING NAME="SystemName">
>    <KEYVALUE VALUETYPE="string">hostname</KEYVALUE>
>   </KEYBINDING>
>  </INSTANCENAME>
> </LOCALINSTANCEPATH>
> <PARAMVALUE NAME="SystemSettings" PARAMTYPE="string">
> <VALUE>
> instance of LXC_VirtualSystemSettingData {
>  CreationClassName = "LXC_VirtualSystemSettingData";
>  VirtualSystemIdentifier = "test";
>  ElementName = "test";
>  VirtualSystemType = "LXC";
>  AutomaticShutdownAction = 2;
>  AutomaticRecoveryAction = 3;
>  BootDevice = "hd";
> };
> </VALUE>
> </PARAMVALUE>
> <PARAMVALUE NAME="ResourceSettings" PARAMTYPE="string">
>  <VALUE.ARRAY>
>   <VALUE>
> instance of LXC_GraphicsResourceAllocationSettingData {
>   InstanceID = "test/graphics";
>   ResourceType = 24;
>   KeyMap = "en-us";
>   ResourceSubType = "vnc";
>   Address = "127.0.0.1:5931";
> };
>  </VALUE>
>  </VALUE.ARRAY>
> </PARAMVALUE>
>
> </METHODCALL>
> </SIMPLEREQ>
> </MESSAGE>
> </CIM>
With what command did you execute the above XML.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Deepti B. Kalakeri
deeptik at linux.vnet.ibm.com