[Libvirt-cim] CIMTest run performance

Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) eblima at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon May 30 17:35:03 UTC 2011

On 05/27/2011 12:28 PM, Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I had been trying to set up cimtest to work on my machine for a couple
> of days without success. So yesterday I started to dig the code and
> found that every command is sent via ssh, even if the test is supposed
> to run locally.
>
> The reason of cimtest not working was exactly that did not have the ssh
> keys set up properly. By fixing that configuration, I was able to make
> the test work as expected. :)
>
> But I was still intrigued with the fact that every command is sent via
> ssh, thus taking cimtest a very very long time to complete. So I hacked
> a simple patch to try to workaround this issue:

[snip]

> As you can see, it is a quick check if 'ip' is neither localhost nor
> 127.0.0.1, which only in that case the command is sent via ssh.
>
> Note that this patch triggers some other issues, which I hope to be able
> to fix soon. But there is already a *huge increase* in the performance.
> I have used the most simpler and probably not the most correct measure:

So I have went somewhat deeper in my investigations and found most of
the issues triggered by that patch. An updated version can be found
attached to this message.

> _BUT_, I can't really tell if it is actually intended that everything
> runs with ssh. Taking a look on the test results, it is noticeable that
> cimtest behaves in a different way, as follows.

Now the behavior of cimtest with the patch applied is much more similar
to the version without the patch. 158 tests are labeled PASS, and only 3
that were FAIL without patch are now SKIP. Unfortunately I don't have
access to the test machine at the moment, so I am not able to provide
the detailed report, which I will do as soon as possible.

> I would really appreciate comments from the experts on this issue. IMHO,
> it is something really worthy and if there are any tests that are
> required to run remotely, I could work on a proper fix to try to achieve
> the same results.

Still waiting for some light regarding this issue.

Best Regards,

--
Eduardo de Barros Lima
Software Engineer, Open Virtualization