[libvirt-users] can't access VM after Fedora 13 KVM install

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Jun 23 12:20:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm installing a Fedora 13 virtual host on a Fedora 13 system, like this:

virt-install --ram 2048 --vcpus 4 --name test --os-type linux \
  --os-variant fedora13 --disk /var/lib/libvirt/images/test.img,size=10 \
  --cdrom /var/lib/libvirt/Fedora-13-x86_64-DVD.iso --vnc --noautoconsole

I connect to the installer using virt-manager, and the install appears to
complete successfully. Then, I reboot the virtual machine and reconnect
with virt-manager. What I see is this:

  Starting SeaBios (version 0.5.1)

  gPXE (http://etherboot.org) - 00:04.0 C900 PCI2.10 PnP BBS PMM7FE0 at 10 C900

  Booting from Hard Disk...

If I connect to the VM's console using 'virsh console', there's no output
at all. I don't see anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/libvirt that
looks like an error.

So, I'm not sure what's going on here, as this is the first time I've done
anything with virtualization. Has my VM hung, or is this what's supposed to
happen? I was expecting that somewhere along the line that my VM would get
an IP address via DHCP so I could SSH to it, but don't see anything indicating
that has happend, or what the IP address is if it has. Is something broken
here, or have I missed a crucial step?

--
J.