[libvirt-users] Mounting an lvm

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Mon Oct 4 06:50:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 05:29:22PM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 10/04/2010 05:13 PM, Dale Amon wrote:
> <snip>
> >I converted a system disk from a virtualbox
> >VM and added to the config on a qemu VM.
> >All seems well until I try to mount it. The
> >virtual machine shows data for the disk
> >image using commands like:
> >
> >	pvs
> >	lvs
> >	lvdisplay xena-1
> >
> >but there is no /dev/xena-1/root to be
> >mounted. I also cannot seem to figure out
> >whether the lvm related modules are available
> >for the virtual machine kernel.
> >
> >Has anyone else tried playing this game?
>
> Not me personally.  But... having the word "xen"
> in the name of the lvm volume is kind of worrying.

No, its xena as in the name of the TV warrior woman
or whatever she was.

> Do you have the commands you used for converting the
> system disk from VirtualBox to QEMU?  If so, can
> you cut-n-paste them here?  Thinking there might be
> a gotcha or something in that can be pointed out
> easily. :)

VBoxManage internalcommands converthd -srcformat VDI -dstformat RAW vbox/.VirtualBox/VDI/xena-1.vdi raw-image.img
qemu-img convert -f raw raw-image.img -O qcow2 qemu-image.qcow

Which I set up as /dev/sdb in the xml file I loaded for the
new VM.

Here's what it looks like on the new machine:

cfdisk (util-linux-ng 2.17.2)
Disk Drive: /dev/sdb
Size: 80530636800 bytes, 80.5 GB
Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 9790

sdb1   Boot   Primary              Linux LVM    80270.51
sdb5          Logical              Linux ext2     254.99

lvdisplay xena-1
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/xena-1/root
  VG Name                xena-1
  LV UUID                ROf54z-nb0R-60Yg-fIgg-O3OW-sCMG-0hf80q
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                73.33 GiB
  Current LE             18772
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/xena-1/swap_1
  VG Name                xena-1
  LV UUID                QAggp5-wIPO-vSDB-Xuk1-pu46-6hfy-nMf4JT
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                1.43 GiB
  Current LE             365