[libvirt-users] Listing shut off domains

None balexis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:50:02 UTC 2011

Hi, I am in the process of migrating a system that was using KVM to VMWare
Workstation.

The original code needs to list all the domains available on the local
machine, no matter what their state is. The problem is that the shut off
domains are not shown by the virsh commands on the VMWare Workstation
system.

On the KVM system, with one shut off domain, I get this output:
maxpower at sw ~$ virsh list --all
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
  - 00042-my-domain shut off

On the VMWare Workstation system, with one shut off domain, I get this
output:
maxpower at sw2 ~ $ virsh -c vmwarews:///session list --all
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------

As soon as I power on the machine in VMWare, it appears in the output as
running:
maxpower at sw2 ~ $ virsh -c vmwarews:///session list --all
 Id Name                 State
14063 my-domain-1      running

Is this a limitation of the Workstation driver? Is there a workaround of
some sort that I haven't thought of? How can I get the entire domain list
when using Workstation?

Thanks for your input,
Alexis