[libvirt-users] Listing shut off domains

None balexis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 13:35:19 UTC 2011

Well it seems like Workstation itself cannot provide the listing of shut off
VMs, even through their own VIX api. I'm not sure other VMWare products can
provide it either, even though Server and ESX have the notion of Inventory.

As a last resort, I tried playing with libvirt, calling 'virsh define' in
the hope that libvirt could register the VM in its own store and later on be
able to list it, to no avail.

I think I'm done with Workstation. I'm a little disappointed with libvirt,
which I thought it provided a uniform interface to various hypervisors. I
should've read goals.html more thoroughly, as it is stated that:

libvirt should provide all APIs needed to do the management [...] within the
limits of the support of the hypervisor for those operations.

It would be neat to create a table with all the libvirt commands and the
supported hypervisors, showing which command is available to which
hypervisor. This would help people wanting to change hypervisors while
keeping their libvirt-based system by showing what will continue to work and
what will need to be worked around in other ways, such as listing shut off
VMs.