[libvirt-users] Disk not bootable from yesterday resolved

David Mansfield libvirt at dm.cobite.com
Wed Apr 27 18:56:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 07:29 -0700, David Brown wrote:
> Just an update and a thanks.
>

> The not bootable issue I was having yesterday ended up being for some
> odd reason the disk type in the domain define xml file had been
> switched to the disk being "raw" rather than qcow2 format.  When I
> changed:
> <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
> <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
>
> It booted without issue.  I'm not clear how that got changed on the
> original domain.  It was in use without issue about a week ago. :/
>
> I then ran the clone again and it cloned fine, but had the boot issue
> again.  I checked the cloned domain.xml file and again it said type
> raw.  I changed it again to qcow2 and it booted fine.
>
> Bug?  Shouldn't it keep the type in the config the same?
>
> Anyway, thanks for help and especially the quick

I had this exact thing happen to me when I updated my centos 5.5 to
centos 5.6.  (which goes from libvirt 0.6.something to libvirt
0.6.something, and take each with a grain of salt as Red Hat/Centos  may
ship highly modified versions).

I'm not sure if the qcow2 changed to raw in the XML during the update,
or if the old version "just worked" with raw, but the new version
doesn't.

David