[libvirt-users] Listing machines as non-root user

Jan jan at agetty.de
Wed Apr 27 09:55:17 UTC 2011

Hi Maciej,

On 04/27/2011 09:28 AM Maciej Gałkiewicz wrote:

[...]

>> Please note that in order for the 'qemu:///system' URI to work probably the
>> user must be part of the 'libvirt' group. This way you won't have to touch
>> the permission set of any of the respective sockets.
>>

> My user is in libvirt group
> $ id
> uid=107(eucalyptus) gid=112(eucalyptus) groups=112(eucalyptus),110(libvirt)
>
> I have tried 'virsh -c qemu:///system 'list'' as well. Still does not work.

so far so good. So what about the output? Do you get any exceptions or
errors? If no virtual machines are up and running at the moment you will
still have to specify the "--all" parameter in order to list also offline
machines:

$ virsh -c qemu:///system 'list --all'

Maybe you could just try to run virsh in debug mode and figure out whats
happening when errors arise:

$ export LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1; $ virsh -c qemu:///system 'list'

Cheers
Jan