[libvirt-users] Migration hangs on Gentoo with KVM

Jonathan Stoppani jonathan at stoppani.name
Mon Aug 1 22:11:16 UTC 2011

Hi there,

I'm trying to migrate a domain between two Gentoo hosts using KVM as hypervisor, but the migration hangs.
I tried both live or offline migration modes without success.

Details below.

Anyone has an idea of what could be wrong with my setup? The migration is the only thing not working.

Host A (initially running the VM)
=================================

# uname -a
Linux pion 2.6.39-gentoo-r3 #12 SMP Fri Jul 29 23:57:49 MST 2011 x86_64 AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6174 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

# kvm --version
QEMU emulator version 0.14.1 (qemu-kvm-0.14.1), Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

# libvirtd --version
libvirtd (libvirt) 0.9.3

# cat /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
http://dpaste.com/hold/583874/

# cat /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf
http://dpaste.com/hold/583873/

# /etc/init.d/libvirtd start

# cat /var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log
http://pastebin.com/V615fgbK

# virsh create descriptions/domain.xml

# cat descriptions/domain.xml
http://dpaste.com/583880/

# cat /var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log
http://pastebin.com/0PSDAZhN (startup log removed)

# cat /var/log/libvirt/qemu/nd-50f05b3-0.log
http://dpaste.com/583877/

# virsh migrate nd-50f05b3-0 qemu+ssh://host-b/system
Password:
--> Never exits

# cat /var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log
http://pastebin.com/EqHBHx8R (startup and domain creation log removed)

# virsh list
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
  1 nd-50f05b3-0         paused

Host B (destination host)
=========================

# uname -a
Linux lenny 2.6.39-gentoo-r3 #6 SMP Fri Jul 29 18:58:08 MST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 3040 @ 1.86GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

# kvm --version
QEMU emulator version 0.14.1 (qemu-kvm-0.14.1), Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

# libvirtd --version
libvirtd (libvirt) 0.9.3

# cat /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
http://dpaste.com/hold/583874/ (same as host A)

# cat /etc/libvirt/
http://dpaste.com/hold/583873/ (same as host A)

# /etc/init.d/libvirtd start

# cat /var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log
http://pastebin.com/WnyqubU6

--> Start migration

# cat /var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log
http://pastebin.com/E45JtvGd (startup log removed)

# virsh list
 Id Name                 State
  1 nd-50f05b3-0         paused

Additional notes

 * The process seams to deadlock somewhere, CPU usage is near to 0%
 * The disk images are available on both hosts at the same location (I'm using a COW2 image based on another COW2 image, both are available)
 * The shared FS is mounted through fuse-sshfs
 * I just noticed that my clocks are skewed. I will rerun the whole test with a correctly setup ntp server, but I had the same problem last week with perfectly synchronized clocks, so I doubt this will make a difference.

Thanks very much,
Jonathan