[libvirt-users] Libvirt daemon usage question

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 22:13:17 UTC 2011

[let's keep the list in the loop]

On 09/14/2011 04:07 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:
>> Given your original qeustion, if your management apps really do require
> 0.8.8 APIs, then you'll need to upgrade libvirtd on your CentOS host to be
> at least 0.8.8 in order to honor your management app requests, or else
> modify your management app to gracefully implement fallbacks to older API
> approaches that were available in 0.8.1.
>>

> How risky is it to implement a newer version of libvirt in something like
> centos?  I figure based on the huge number of dependencies that its not
> something to safely do.  So far we building my libvirt rpms Ive only used
> the same source for the version with centos and the libvirt specs provided
> in the fedora src rpms.  Do the specs know to check for specific versions of
> dependencies?

There's not that many source dependencies for building a newer libvirt
out-of-the-box on top of CentOS.  You might also find
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Preview_Repository as a
useful example for the amount of effort involved in running newer virt
tools on top of an otherwise stable repository.  Also, search the list
archives; the topic of installing the latest libvirt on CentOS or RHEL 5
has come up several times recently, with various tidbits of good advice.