[libvirt-users] Finding cause when "virsh list" hangs

Whit Blauvelt whit.virt at transpect.com
Sun Aug 19 18:19:22 UTC 2012

Hi,

Did something dumb - had two VM hosts with DRBD mirroring of VMs on the same
UPS, which failed and crashed them both. While I've got VMs running now on
both, "virsh list" and "virsh start" and so on are just hanging. I'm not
seeing it log anything in these instances - just hanging.

Both systems are Ubuntu 10.10, one with the stock libvirtd 0.8.3 and one
with 0.9.12 compiled from source. They each brought up their autostart VMs
okay. But I've got no working virsh shell on either now. The 0.9.12 host
was, to complicate this report, okay with virsh initially, or "virsh list"
anyway. But it hung with a "virsh start," and now "virsh list" fails too.

So ... what should I look for to have been left where by the crash that's
making virsh hang?

Is there any way to get virsh to provide debugging info in a
coffee-addled-friendly way? I've of course Googled "virsh list" hanging, but
without finding anything that seems to directly apply to my case, although
it's been seen before.

Thanks,
Whit