[libvirt-users] Determine state of the guest OS/kernel from host

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 16:49:07 UTC 2012

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

On 08/03/2012 09:02 AM, Harish Patil wrote:
> Thanks Michal.
> Yes I do not have a screen, the host and the guests are running on an
> embedded device.
> The real requirement is:
> Is there a way that I can register with libvirt for the state change
> notifications in the guest OS?
> Is it possible?
> I need to take some actions in the host based on the guest OS state change.

How would you do this in a network of bare metal machines?  You may be
better served by setting up actions based on network messages sent by
the guest, the way you would with one bare-metal machine reporting to
another.  Also, this sounds more like something that a guest agent would
have to coordinate at a higher level than libvirt, as there is nothing
inherent in running qemu that tells libvirt what the guest inside the
qemu process is doing.  virt-dmesg' ability to peek at guest memory is
about the best you will be able to do through libvirt.