[libvirt-users] no connection driver available for No connection for URI xen:///

Su Zhang westlifezs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:02:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Alex Jia <ajia at redhat.com> wrote:

> **
> On 03/16/2012 05:33 AM, Su Zhang wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/15/2012 02:57 PM, Su Zhang wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I am trying to use virt-install to install domU image. However, I
>> > encountered the following issue. It seems that a connection driver is
>> > needed for Xen.
>> > I am new to both libvirt and Xen. Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong
>> > with the following error ?
>> >

>> > # virt-install --connect=xen:/// -p -d
>> > Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:17:55 DEBUG    Launched with command line:
>> > /usr/bin/virt-install --connect=xen:/// -p -d
>> > Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:17:55 DEBUG    Requesting libvirt URI xen:///
>> > Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:17:55 ERROR    no connection driver available for No
>> > connection for URI xen:///
>>
>>  This probably means that your copy of libvirt.so and libvirtd was built
>> without xen support.  What does
>>
>> virsh --version=long
>>
>> say?  Also, are you sure libvirtd is running?
>>
>  In addition, I want to know your libvirt.so, libvirtd, xend location,
> for example,
> # which libvirtd
> # which xend
> # locate libvirt.so
>
> Please also make sure xend service is running:
> # service xend status
>

>> --
>> Eric Blake   eblake at redhat.com    +1-919-301-3266
>> Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org
>>

> Eric,
>
> Here is the output:
> # virsh --version=long
> Virsh command line tool of libvirt 0.9.10
> See web site at http://libvirt.org/
>
> Compiled with support for:
>  Hypervisors: Xen QEmu/KVM UML OpenVZ VirtualBox LXC Test
>  Networking: Remote Daemon Network Bridging Nwfilter VirtualPort
>  Storage: Dir Filesystem SCSI Multipath iSCSI LVM
>  Miscellaneous: SELinux Secrets Debug
>
> It seems that it does support Xen.
>
> Yeah, Xen indeed appears in Hypervisors line.
>

> I am not sure if libvirtd is running so I use the following command to
> start it:
>
> [root at XenTester srv]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/libvirtd start
>
> Right, you may also use service libvirtd start, and check it by service
> libvirtd status or ps -ef|grep libvirtd.
>

> But the same error is still there.
>
> Am I using the right way to start libvirtd service? Are there any other
> possible reasons of this error?
>

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Su Zhang
> Ph.D Candidate
> Computing and Information Sciences
> Kansas State University

>  Alex,

Here is some information:

# /etc/init.d/xencommons start
Starting xenstored...
Setting domain 0 name...
Starting xenconsoled...
[root at XenTester su]# /etc/init.d/xend start
[root at XenTester su]# which libvirtd
/usr/local/sbin/libvirtd
[root at XenTester su]# which xend
/usr/sbin/xend
[root at XenTester su]# locate libvirt.so
/usr/lib64/libvirt.so.0
/usr/lib64/libvirt.so.0.9.4
/usr/local/lib/libvirt.so
/usr/local/lib/libvirt.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libvirt.so.0.9.10
[root at XenTester su]# service xend status
[root at XenTester su]# ps -ef|grep libvirtd
root      2242     1  0 21:52 ?        00:00:00 libvirtd --daemon
root      3295  3112  0 21:59 pts/0    00:00:00 grep libvirtd

Can you see if it is normal here?

Thanks,