[libvirt-users] migration job: unexpectedly failed

Daniele dnl.sneike at gmail.com
Tue May 7 16:58:31 UTC 2013

Thanks for your answer

2013/5/7 Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com>

> On 05/07/2013 05:08 AM, Daniele wrote:
> > Hi, I am trying to run some test and analysis while performing a wide
> live
> > migration of a VM between two different network location. I use libvirt
> and
> > qemu-kvm as hypervisor on Linux.
> >
> > The live wide migration from A to B completes successfully, instead I
> can't
> > achieve the reverse path, from B to A (and that is right what I am
> > interested to). To perform the migration I run this command in virsh:
> *"migrate
> > --live --verbose uno qemu+ssh://root@ip.address/system"*
>
> What version of libvirtd are you running on both the source and
> destination?  There is a known nasty bug in a few versions prior to
> 1.0.5 where migration could trigger a race that would kill the source
> libvirtd, so if you aren't testing with the latest version on both ends,
> then upgrade first.  Also, what version of qemu are you running on the
> two ends?

In the source host there is libvirtd 0.9.12, while in the destination host
there is a modified version of the 0.9.8 (that I can't change).
Now that you mention it, sometimes after the migration failure the libvirt
daemon crashed in the destination host, not in the source host.

About the qemu version, the source host has qemu-kvm-1.1.2+dfsg-6, while
the destination host has qemu-kvm-1.0.

> > *
> > *
> > Even if dramatically slow (i guess due to some network bottleneck) the
> > migration starts correctly, but it gets stuck at 96% and after some
> minute
> > it returns this error: *"Migration: [ 96 %]error: operation failed:
> > migration job: unexpectedly failed" *without further details.
> >
> > The libvirtd.log file in the source host says:
> > *2013-05-07 11:01:18.739+0000: 9538: error :
> > qemuMigrationUpdateJobStatus:945 : operation failed: migration job:
> > unexpectedly failed*
>
> Does the /var/log/libvirt/qemu/uno.log file on either the source or
> destination shed more light?

Nothing interesting in the source uno.log, but I wasn't checking in the
destination host log. These are its last lines:
*savevm: unsupported version 3 for 'i8254' v2*
*load of migration failed*
*2013-05-07 16:27:59.682+0000: shutting down*

I'm also checking the libvirtd.log in the destination host (that i didn't
look before) and it seems interesting. It reports this error:
*2013-05-07 16:27:59.682+0000: 16651: error : qemuMonitorIO:560 : internal
error End of file from monitor*
*Caught Segmentation violation dumping internal log buffer:*
*
*
..and following there is a really long log of the debugger with a time
stamp of the last 13 seconds of the migration. You can see the whole log
here: http://db.tt/LcXEvGjF

Thanks again
Daniele