[libvirt-users] libvirt-1.1.2-r1 (Gentoo) fails to start LXC containers (subject line minor edit, was libvirt-1.2.2-r1)

Dennis Jenkins dennis.jenkins.75 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 20:28:13 UTC 2013

> ostara ~ # ebuild
> /usr/portage/app-emulation/libvirt/libvirt-1.1.2-r1.ebuild setup clean
>  * libvirt-1.1.2.tar.gz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-)
> ...                                                       [ ok ]
>  * libvirt-1.1.2-e89bdf01.tar.xz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-)
> ...                                              [ ok ]
>  * checking ebuild checksums ;-)
> [ ok ]
>  * checking auxfile checksums ;-)
> [ ok ]
>  * checking miscfile checksums ;-)
> [ ok ]
>  * Determining the location of the kernel source code
>  * Found kernel source directory:
>  *     /usr/src/linux
>  * Found kernel object directory:
>  *     /lib/modules/3.10.7-gentoo/build
>  * Found sources for kernel version:
>  *     3.10.7-gentoo
>  * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...
>  *   CONFIG_SECURITYFS:  is not set when it should be.
>  * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
>  * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.

Doug, thank you for your assistance.  My issue is resolved:

ostara ~ # virsh -c lxc:/// start dwj-hfax-dev
Domain dwj-hfax-dev started

ostara ~ # zgrep "SECURITYFS" /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_SECURITYFS=y

Suggestion: libvirtd, or its start script, should sanity check the local
kernel and issue a warning if its not kosher.

[off topic].  Timing!  My last reboot was 16 days ago.  Between reboots my
EXT3 file-system crossed the 180-days without a FSCK mark...  My reboot
took a looooooonnnnggg time.  My server is in my basement.  When it did not
come back up quickly post-reboot, I got nervous and had to go check on it.
:)  2.4 million files makes FSCK slow.  Too bad QEMU performs poorly when
ran on top of btrfs, or I would convert.  (yeah, I know about disabling the
COW flag per file/directory)

ostara ~ # df -i /
Filesystem       Inodes   IUsed    IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/md3       60632496 2443621 58188875    5% /

ostara ~ # df -h /
/dev/md3        909G  447G  417G  52% /