[libvirt-users] Specifying a USB Device to use USB2 Controller

Cameron Curle camerooney81 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 23:57:49 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Can anyone please advise the correct process for defining a USB device to
point to a USB 2 Controller? Specifically, how do you define a USB device
to use the EHCI controller in a guest xml file?

To summarize my problem:

I have 1 x USB1 device and 1 x USB2 device that I would like to use from
within a Windows XP Guest. If I add the USB2 device (Avid M-box) to the
guest machine via Virt-Manager it will not detect in the guest, when I
check the libvirt logs for the VM it shows a "Device speed mismatch" error.
Which leads me to think that its attaching itself to the default UHCI
controller, as the USB1 device functions correctly.

I've followed a similar post on the list here which seems to detail what I
am trying to achieve:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-users/2012-June/msg00139.html

I have tried using the controller type and model as below, however, when I
try and define the "port" option, it disappears from the configuration file
and won't attach to the EHCI controller.

<controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci' /

I've done some searching but can't find any information on how to
specifically assign a USB device to a certain controller.
Any information or guides you could provide would be much appreciated.

I'm using RHEL 6.4 with latest updates available.
qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.355.el6.4.7
libvirt-0.10.2-18.el6 4.9

I'm currently defining the USB2 device like this:
<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'
         <source>
            <vendor id='0x0763' />
            <product id='0x202a' />
            <address bus='1' device='3' />