[libvirt-users] Deriving VMs from a reference image via scripts

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Apr 25 18:51:20 UTC 2014

On 04/25/2014 11:49 AM, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a reference .vmdk (and .xml) reference VM.  I need to instantiate multiple new VM’s from this, but changing various parameters: name, MAC address, network connections, cores, memory size, disk size and backing store, etc. and then start these new VM’s… all via ‘virsh’ et al from a script.

You may want to look at virt-sysprep, part of the libguestfs suite of
tools, which can automate a number of these tasks when creating
derivative cloned VMs.  From the tools perspective, most of your work
will be done outside of virsh, in prepping the new disk images and
creating new derivative xml, then finally calling into virsh to start
the new xml.