[libvirt-users] virt-install: failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 05:22:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 08:33:01PM +0200, arnaud gaboury wrote:
>As a regular user, member of the libvirt group, I run this command to
>create a basic VM:
>
>virt-install --connect qemu:///system --name=test --ram 2048 --cpu
>host-model-only --os-variant=win7 --disk /myVM/test --boot cdrom,hd
>--virt-type kvm --graphics spice --controller scsi,model=virtio-scsi
>--cdrom=/drawer/myIso/w8.iso
>
>It returns an error :
>---------------------------------
>Starting install...
>ERROR    internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor:
>Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
>failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied
>---------------------------------
>
>$ getfacl /dev/kvm
>
># file: dev/kvm
># owner: root
># group: kvm
>user::rw-
>user:martinus:rw-
>group::rw-
>mask::rw-
>other::---

It depends on how your libvirt was built (configured), what's the
default user/group under which the machines are ran.  Let's say it's
being ran under qemu.  Check that user qemu is in the group kvm and if
not, adding it there should fix it for you.  Whether the user should
be in that group (by default) or not depends on the configuration of
other packages in your system as well.  I think on my system the qemu
package adds qemu user, kvm group and adds qemu user into the kvm
group, but this is just a guess from my side.  Your system may be
using some *Kit and other things to set that.  I'm just trying to say
that even if my solution helps you, it might not be what your
distribution packagers had in mind and the root cause is somewhere
else.

Martin

P.S.: You can also change the default user/group under which qemu will
be started in /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf, but I guess that's not what you
want.