[libvirt-users] CPU Resource Reservation using KVM

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 07:48:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:14:12PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am new to KVM world. I have been using VMware for about a year.
>
> In VMware world we can reserve cpu resources for a VM. Say for instance if
> we need 4 vCPUs with a total of 8000 GHz then we can mention this
> configuration in vCenter while creating a VM. This guarantees 8000 GHz of
> cpu resources for the deployed VM.
>
> How can i achieve the same thing using KVM ?

If you are comfortable with command line, you can look at `virsh` manual
page for

    setvcpus - change number of virtual CPUs

to control how many vCPUs you can allocate.

If you're using `virt-manager`, you should be able to control it via UI
for a guest under its "Show virtual hardware details" and look for
"Processor".

--
/kashyap