[libvirt-users] unable to edit existing snapshot

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 08:40:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:08:54AM +0300, NoxDaFox wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> due to hardware failure I had to replace my workstation which has a
> different CPU. I have a VM with several snapshots and I need to revert
> to a specific one.

I'll assume these are external snapshots? You might want to note how
exactly you created your snapshot (including the CLI).

> While reverting to it, I get an error due to unsupported CPU features.

Noting your exact error can be useful.

> Therefore, I try to edit the snapshot XML through the command:
>
> virsh snapshot-edit <domain_name> <snapshot_name>
>
> When I save the changes I get the error message: error: intermal
> error: unexpected domain snapshot <snapshot_name> already exists
>
> Tried to look  around for solution but didn't find any information
> related to my problem.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? It's quite critical for me to be able to
> revert to that state of the machine. Is there any chance to do so via
> libvirt?

Assuming you're referring to an external snapshot, maybe you can try the
manual operation of editing the domain's XML (not the snapshot's XML)
and point to the exact disk image that you want to revert to?

--
/kashyap