[libvirt-users] redistribute virtual machines from vps hosting to end users

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 09:47:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 02:32:12AM +0400, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> Hi. I need to get ability to download backups of kvm virtual machines
> (raw images) to end users. Virtualbox users can import ovs images,
> that i can create, but in case of linux and virt-manager - how users
> can import images and simply run it?
> I think about newbie linux users, that can install virt-manager under
> ubuntu via graphical package manager and do some easy steps...
>
> Can you share me info how can i do needed things ?=)Or may be some
> admins/users already solve this kind of "problems"...

I don't have immediate steps with `virt-manager` as I don't use it much
in my workflow. But if you have users who're comfortable with CLI, you
can import disk images into libvirt (and which will also be accessible
via `virt-manager`) tribvially:

  $ virt-install --name f21vm --ram 2048 \
      --diskpath=/export/f21vm.qcow2,format=qcow2,cache=writeback \
      --nographics --os-variant fedora21 --import

(The above has the option '--nographics' because, it's just a small,
server image, but still - when the image is imported into libvirt, it
should be accessible via virt-manager, albiet a headless server.)

--
/kashyap