[libvirt-users] unhelpful error message on failed "virsh migrate"

Andreas Buschmann buschman at tech.net.de
Wed Feb 24 13:34:26 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have two servers where I can push VMs from one to the other by issuing
the command

 virsh migrate --live --persistent --copy-storage-all --verbose \
        test6 qemu+ssh://kvmhost2/system

on kvmhost1. I can get the VM back by issuing the equivalent command on
kvmhost2:

 virsh migrate --live --persistent --copy-storage-all --verbose \
        test6 qemu+ssh://kvmhost1/system

After an update (on behalf of the glibc bug) it only works for some VMs
and fails for others. The error message is unhelpful:

  virsh --debug 4 migrate --live --persistent --copy-storage-all --verbose \
        vmware-mgmt qemu+ssh://kvmhost1/system
error: internal error: info migration reply was missing return status

Is there a way to get a more helpful error message?
migrating VMs only works for a very limited subset of the VMs on the
system in the direction kvmhost2 --> kvmhost2

Stopping the VMs, copying them over to kvmhost1 and restarting still
works, and I can even migrate them back.

How do I debug this problem?

One possible way would be to stop all VMs on kvmhost2, manually copy
them to kvmhost1 and start them
and afterwards reinstall all packages
(or the whole Server if that doesn't help)

But that would be a workaround, and I still would not know what the
problem is.

The system is CentOS 7.2 now and was CentOS 7.1 before the upgrade, with
the qemu-kvm-rhev repo added for qemu.

					Mit freundlichen Gruessen
						Andreas Buschmann
--