[libvirt-users] virt-manager / remote desktop latency issues

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Fri Apr 28 18:04:08 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm using virt-viewer to launch remote desktop connections

The connection to the KVM host is using ssh

The virtual machines/guests are running a GNOME desktop

I've observed some latency issues, for example, changing focus from one
terminal to another is a bit sluggish.  Typing isn't too bad.

The WAN connection is gigabit fibre from my home into a local data
center.  Ping times are about 0.8ms to the physical server.

Smokeping shows there is no packet loss and the latency is constant.

Can I do anything to tweak the .ssh/config to make it better?  It
occurred to me that adding "IPQoS lowdelay" might be useful as it
defaults to "throughput" for non-interactive connections.  Maybe
virt-manager should add that on the ssh command line?

Is there any way to see SPICE latency statistics in the virt-manager GUI?

Would any other SPICE viewer make a difference?

Are there any changes I should make to the GNOME desktop configuration
to make it work better through SPICE?

Can anybody make any other suggestions?

Regards,

Daniel