[libvirt-users] provisioning with vagrant-libvirt leaves .img file only readable by root

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Feb 15 13:25:12 UTC 2017

I'm using libvirt on Debian/stretch (testing) with vagrant and the
vagrant-libvirt plugin.  When I import a vagrant box (jessie64.box), the
resulting file permssions let anyone in the "kvm" group read the img.
But when I build upon that box, only root can read it:

-rw------- 1 root         root 20198785024 Sep 19 18:19
buildserver_default.img
-rwxr--r-- 1 libvirt-qemu kvm   2148663296 Sep  5 22:55
jessie64_vagrant_box_image_0.img

How can I control those file permissions as a regular user in the
libvirtd group?  I need to read that image in order to use qemu-img to
rebase and create a new vagrant box.  The current `vagrant package`
command only works with VirtualBox VMs, but its easy to make a .box if
you have read access to the libvirt QEMU .img file.

/etc/libvirt/storage/default.xml says:
  <target>
    <path>/var/lib/libvirt/images</path>
    <permissions>
      <mode>0755</mode>
    </permissions>
  </target>

You can find the context for this work here:
https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroidserver/issues/238

.hc

--
PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556