[libvirt-users] provisioning with vagrant-libvirt leaves .img file only readable by root

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 15 16:43:47 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 02:25:12PM +0100, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>I'm using libvirt on Debian/stretch (testing) with vagrant and the
>vagrant-libvirt plugin.  When I import a vagrant box (jessie64.box), the
>resulting file permssions let anyone in the "kvm" group read the img.
>But when I build upon that box, only root can read it:

I don't have any Vagrant experience, but if you have a file that any VM
(with qemu://system) is using, by default libvirt will make sure the VM
can use it and after that, set it to root:root.  The proper way would be
setting it to permssions that it had before.  We're dealing with this
for a couple of years now.  It's still unfixed because we're trying to
fix every single corner-case and also there are so many things to
consider.

Anyway, if you will make sure that qemu can access it, you can disable
the automatic dynamic relabelling (either for the disk in the domain XML
by saying <seclabel ... relabel="no"/> for the disk or the whole domain
or all domains by setting dynamic_ownership to 0 in qemu.conf).

HTH,
Martin