[libvirt-users] Unsafe migration with copy-storage-all (non shared storage) and writeback cache

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Fri Feb 17 11:33:28 UTC 2017

Hi list,
I would like to understand if, and why, the --unsafe flag is needed when
using --copy-storage-all when migrating guests which uses writeback
cache mode.

Background: I want to live migrate guests with writeback cache from host
A to host B and these hosts only have local storage (ie: no shared
storage at all).

 From my understanding, --unsafe should be only required when migrating
writeback-enabled guests between two hosts which share non-cluster-aware
storage (ie: NFS), but it should not be necessary when not sharing storage.

However, when trying to migrate from a CentOS6 host to a CentOS7 machine
with command

[root at source ~]# virsh migrate Totem --live --copy-storage-all
--persistent --verbose qemu+ssh://root@172.31.255.11/system

I have the following error:
error: Unsafe migration: Migration may lead to data corruption if disks
use cache != none

So, my questions are:

1) it is safe to do a live migration with --copy-storage-all when guests
are using writeback cache mode?

2) if so, why libvirt complains about that?

3) if not, what is the best method to migrate a running quest using
writeback cache mode?

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan