[libvirt-users] VM running with storage image file deleted

Roosen, Nicolas nicolas.roosen at hpe.com
Thu Jan 10 10:19:57 UTC 2019

Hello, I have a strange issue I'd like to have some insights on.

We have 2 running VM, the storage pool is over NFS. Unfortunately, the backend storage folder has been deleted (so the image file in it as well, obviously) ...

Yet, the 2 VM are still up and running, with their root filesystem being mounted "rw".

- how does that work? I was expecting that with the file image being deleted, the VM would not work at all.

- since the VM is still running, is there a way to create a snapshot of it in order to re-create the image file on another storage pool ? I'm currently exploring "virsh snapshot-create-as ...", but if access to the image file is needed, it will fail.

Thanks.

--

Nicolas