[libvirt-users] [iGVT-g] GVT-g - suboptimal user experience

gnidorah at ya.ru gnidorah at ya.ru
Sun May 19 17:44:11 UTC 2019

So it looks like this solution is currently not very user friendly. Perhaps Intel could get Red Hat help to make first-class support of gvt feature in virt-manager?

Currently it doesn't work. Only following methods do work: https://blog.bepbep.co/posts/gvt/

>>  Also virt-manager should allow to use mdev videocard alone, without
>>  requiring to use additional primary virtual adapter like QXL or Cirrus
>
> That works fine, you can just set the video card model to "none" in
> libvirt xml. Not sure whenever virt-manager allows to do that via GUI,
> maybe you have to use "virsh edit" instead.

It doesn't allow it via GUI.

>>  2. Currently with gvt solution there few mdev devices each with fixed
>>  resolution. User should be able to configure own resolutions for
>>  devices at host without additional manipulations in guest. Ideally,
>>  resolution should be dynamic and change appropriately on resize of
>>  virt-manager window
>
> Works. Needs cutting edge software versions though (qemu 4.0 and linux
> kernel 5.1 on the host).

Ok, I will test it with later versions someday. However I assume dynamic resolution (on window resize) is not supported?