Cannot create vm with machine type raspi2b

Niccolò Belli darkbasic at linuxsystems.it
Sat Oct 22 09:45:43 UTC 2022

Hi, I'm trying to use virt-manager to create a Raspberry Pi 2 virtual
machine on my Talos 2 ppc64le workstation.
In virt-manager I click on "New", then "Manual install", architecture
"arm" and machine type "raspi2b".
Next I set either "Generic or unknown OS" or "Debian 11" as operating
system, I keep the default 1024 memory and 1 cpu and then I disable
storage for this virtual machine (because I want to use an existing
image with direct kernel boot, see
https://raspi.debian.net/tested-images/).
I check "Customize configuration before install" and I click "Finish".

Unfortunately I get the following error:

Error starting installation: Did not find any UEFI binary path for arch
'armv7l'

So I've decided to start from scratch and select "virt" as machine type
instead of "raspi2b" and change it back later.
With "virt" I manage to reach the configuration overview before the
installation begins.

At this point I have three options for Firmware:
UEFI
UEFI armv7l:/usr/share/qemu/edk2-arm-code.fd

UEFI is the default and if I change the machine type to raspi2b I still
have the same three options (/usr/share/qemu/edk2-arm-code.fd does
indeed exist in my file system).

Unfortunately clicking on "Begin Installation" leads me to yet another
error:

Unable to complete install: 'internal error: Required option 'modelName'
is not set for PCI controller with index '1', model 'pcie-root-port' and
modelName 'none''

If I change the machine type back to "virt" I don't get any error.

I'm using app-emulation/qemu 7.1.0, app-emulation/libvirt-8.8.0 and
virt-manager-4.1.0 on Gentoo Linux ppc64le with a 4K page size kernel.

Thanks,
Niccolo' Belli