System hangs using audit-0.9.9 (and few versions before)

Linda Knippers linda.knippers at hp.com
Tue Jun 21 22:13:22 UTC 2005

I just tried the same thing on my 2 CPU ia64 box (.65 kernel and 0.9.10
audit tools) and on my system, the system doesn't hang but it doesn't
work either.

Where your system hung, just my window hangs.  I can see that the
auditd script is trying to do an auditctl -D and the auditctl process is
running constantly and can't be killed.

The first time I did this I forgot that I had some rules in the rules
file that would cause all syscalls with my uid to be audited.  When
that happened, not only was auditctl running constantly but all my
processes seemed to go wild.  Touching any window caused shell prompts
to start scrolling off the screen, etc.  I could ssh in and that seemed
to work ok but the messages file (because there was no auditd) was
filling up.  There were lots of select, read, sigprocmask, ... syscalls
being audited, like signals gone wild?.

Anyone else tried this?

-- ljk

PS  I'd experiment some more tonight but I have to leave soon (my SO's
birthday).  I can try more tomorrow.