Audit Filesystem

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 01:17:37 UTC 2005

On Sunday 06 March 2005 13:30, Timothy R. Chavez wrote:
> I put it as a seperate option because I saw that Rik Faith had
> seperated the generic auditing framework and the syscall auditing
> portion in to two seperate config options.

Then maybe we should have each configured option add something to the status
request so that userspace can figure out what the kernel supports. This is
similar to xinetd when it starts up saying what options were configured when
it was compiled. But frankly, I see this as all or nothing. You either audit
or don't. I really can't see any distribution doing it halfway. Maybe
individuals for some special reason, but a distribution should turn it all
on.

I also ran into another problem when applying all these patches. A couple
structures have been introduced to audit.h as we have been progressing.
audit.h does not have any includes to pull in the structure definitions. For
example, "struct inode", "struct list_head", "rwlock_t", and "atomic_t".
These are causing compile failures in other places when audit.h gets
included. I think fs.c was the place most things died in.

If we add data types to audit.h, we also need to add the right includes so
other places don't break. (I've been applying patches to a 2.6.11 based
kernel.)

Thanks,
-Steve Grubb