syscalls

Chris Wright chrisw at osdl.org
Wed May 4 17:04:35 UTC 2005

* Javier Godinez (godinezj at gmail.com) wrote:
> Do the supported system calls depend on what the kernel supports or do
> they depend on what auditd supports? It seems to me that it would have
> to depend on whatever the kernel wants to send to user space right? So
> every syscall that we want to be audited would have to be fist
> implemented in the kernel, am I getting this right? I was looking
> through the auditd sources and I was not able to find a list of
> supported syscalls.

There's a couple of things here.

The kernel side auditing system is hooked into the syscall mechanism.
As such, it will pick up any syscall that's made from userspace (by
number).  Whether it's implemented in the kernel or not, audit can see
that it was attempted.

To filter the syscall (still in kernel), this can be done by number, so
it's smth. that can be filtered.  And filters (set by userspace) can be
identified by number or name.

In user space (specifically auditctl), there's the possbility for being
out of date between kernel and userspace, but that's only for using
syscall names (not numbers).  Anytime you expect auditctl to know the
translation between a syscall name and number you'll have a potential
issue if the kernel is implementing a new syscall that auditctl didn't
know about.

thanks,
-chris