Recording user commands (from RE: Linux-audit Digest, Vol 31, Issue 12)

Taylor_Tad at emc.com Taylor_Tad at emc.com
Fri Apr 27 20:05:28 UTC 2007

  -----Original Message-----
While a little more verbose than one might like, couldn't you audit
exec() system calls?  That would certainly capture all the commands
issued from a shell.  However, you might want to only audit successful
exec()s.  As I recall from auditing *nix systems years ago, shells tend
to just start trying to execute a command name along your path and if it
fails, it tries again with the next path (for example, the command
doesn't exist in /usr/local/bin, let's try /usr/bin and then /usr/sbin,
etc.)
  This would pick up other exec()s as well, but you should be able to
generate reports to find the ones that were issued by a shell.  Just a
thought.
  --Tad Taylor

  Message: 3