Recording user commands (from RE: Linux-audit Digest, Vol 31, Issue 12)

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 20:10:07 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 April 2007 16:05, Taylor_Tad at emc.com wrote:
> While a little more verbose than one might like, couldn't you audit
> exec() system calls?

Yes, you could certainly do that. But as you said, it would be more data than
you would want. If you had a policy of no root logins, you could define a
rule something like this:

-a always,entry -S execve -F 'auid>=500'

And that should cut it down to the commands run by real users and not daemons.

>However, you might want to only audit successful exec()s.

I don't think execve returns in the normal sense when successful.