cron and aureport

Phillip Programmer programmer.phillip at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 18:10:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

We are running into a strange issue when we run reports inside of a script
as root everything works fine.  When we point the root crontab at the same
script it no longer returns any results.

For example we have the script something like this  below:

#!/bin/bash
#
# script foo.sh
# report to log.
/sbin/aureport   -i -f  -ts today  --failed  > /root/someloghere
# end script

When we run foo.sh as root from a command prompt it works fine.

When we run it from a crontab it doesn't return any results.

We has also tried adding the path to the file .
/sbin/aureport   -i -f  -ts today  --failed  > /root/someloghere  -if
/var/log/audit/audit.log  > /root/someloghere

We are running RHEL5.1 x64 if that matters.

I also downloaded and built the aureport and ausearch   still it had to
effect.

Is there something we are doing wrong?

Thanks

Phillip