cron and aureport

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 13:21:00 UTC 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008 13:10:23 Phillip Programmer wrote:
> We are running into a strange issue when we run reports inside of a script
> as root everything works fine.  When we point the root crontab at the same
> script it no longer returns any results.

You need to use the --input-logs option. If ausearch sees stdin as a pipe, it
assumes that is where it gets its data from. The input logs option tells it
to ignore the fact that stdin is a pipe and process the logs. Aureport has
the same problem and option to fix it.

> We are running RHEL5.1 x64 if that matters.

This was fixed in the 1.6.7 general release and backported to the 1.6.5 RHEL5
release.