Benefit of 'arch' parameter for syscall rules

Eric Paris eparis at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 17:10:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 10:59 -0400, Matt Rixon wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> What is the benefit of using the 'arch' field parameter in a syscall
> rule?  Is it necessary?

Yes, for some 'not so nice' (IMHO) reasons.  The syscall name you give
to -S is translated to a number and then matched exactly.  since syscall
#100 on x86_64 might not be the same as syscall #100 on x86_32 if you
don't supply a -F arch= you might end up getting chmod on 32bit and
socket on 64bit (I'm just making that up as an example)

I personally think userspace should handle that for you (instead of just
complaining lightly) if you don't enter -F arch= on a biarch system.

-Eric