auditing daemon activity (restart, stop, start)

romain.pelissier at bell.ca romain.pelissier at bell.ca
Wed Sep 29 15:01:29 UTC 2010

Hi,
I am wondering is there is a way to monitor with auditd deamon activity like a start and stop.
I see in the logs of auditd that some activities with crond and/or pam are logged like :

msg='PAM session close: user=root exe="/usr/sbin/crond"
msg='PAM accounting: user=nagios exe="/usr/sbin/sshd"

and I am wondering if I can catch a user that trying to stop or start a daemon like syslog-ng.

Also, why if that I have no rules defined, auditd logs those things anyway?

Thanks