PCI-DSS: Log every root actions/keystrokes but avoid passwords

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Jul 13 13:27:42 UTC 2012

On Friday, July 13, 2012 10:14:59 AM Florian Crouzat wrote:
> Le 12/07/2012 21:41, Thugzclub a écrit :
> > Florian,
> >
> > Did you get and answer for this?
> >
> > Regards.
>
> Not a single one.

Hmm...I thought I sent an answer. The problem from the kernel's perspective is
that it has no idea what user space is doing. It can't tell a password from
anything else being typed. There is a flag that can be set for the TTY to hide
characters. But the issue then becomes that now you have a loophole that a
crafty admin could use to hide what he's really doing.

If anyone has ideas on how to improve this, I think we should.

-Steve