PCI-DSS: Log every root actions/keystrokes but avoid passwords

Florian Crouzat gentoo at floriancrouzat.net
Fri Jul 13 13:50:44 UTC 2012

Le 13/07/2012 15:27, Steve Grubb a écrit :

> Hmm...I thought I sent an answer. The problem from the kernel's perspective is
> that it has no idea what user space is doing. It can't tell a password from
> anything else being typed. There is a flag that can be set for the TTY to hide
> characters. But the issue then becomes that now you have a loophole that a
> crafty admin could use to hide what he's really doing.
>
> If anyone has ideas on how to improve this, I think we should.
>
> -Steve

Yeah, I was afraid of that...
At least, thanks for clarifying.

I guess I'll stick with stating: don't fire any real root shell to all
my sysadmins in the PCI-DSS scope. (as it's impossible to completely
forbid all possible case , eg: forbid sudo -*, sudo sudo *, sudo su *
but hell, you can't forbid sudo ./foo.sh where foo fires a shell, there
is NOEXEC in sudo but then you can't do anything except reading...)

Anyway, I'm getting away of the real matter, avoiding to audit-log
passwords keystrokes.

--
Cheers,
Florian Crouzat