Remote logging with autitd

Wouter van Verre woutervanverre at outlook.com
Thu Nov 13 22:23:59 UTC 2014

Hi Steve (and others),

Many thanks for the presentation, it has been very helpful. I have started to work on a simple plugin in Python, but I got a bit stuck again.
At the moment it just logs all data on STDIN to a file in /tmp.

Right now the system is set up such that on the client server the audit data gets sent to my central server using audisp + audisp-remote.
The central server receives the data using auditd, logs it /var/log/audit/audit.log and sends it to audisp, which in turn sends it to my plugin.
I can see  audit events from both my client and central server being written in /var/log/audit/audit.log, as expected. The two are easily extinguished by the node names.

However, in my plugin I only  seems to receive data from the central (i.e. local) server... I draw this conclusion both because I see only one node name, and also because I generate TTY events on the client server only (and they show in /var/log/audit/audit.log as expected), and these do not show in the output from my plugin.
Is this the expected behaviour? Are plugins only supposed to receive the locally generated audit events?
If it is, is there a way to forward the remotely generated data to a plugin on the central server?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Wouter