Is audit=1 still required for RHEL 7?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 13:03:51 UTC 2015

On Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:12:14 PM Burak Gürer wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> first of all sorry for my bad english!
>
> i could not accomplish to get rid of from auid=4294967295 issue
>
> i have implemented that suggestions:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2010-June/msg00002.html
> https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-faq.txt
>
> but not succeed.
> is there any other reasons or solutions?

There is a chance that --with-audit or --enable-audit was not used in the
configuration of the utilities. I can't say for certain without knowing more
about your distribution.

> by the way suggestions in the links, is it important to where we put the
> suggested confs:
>
> e.g. which line to put "audit=1"

That is a kernel boot parameter.

> or which line to put "session required pam_loginuid.so"

This would go into the pam configuration of system entry points. For example,
it would be in /etc/pam.d/login. But it would NOT go into /etc/pam.d/system-
auth or /etc/pam.d/su. This should already be configured by your distribution
and you shouldn't need to adjust it.

> and further are kernel or audit package versions important?

Yes. But not to the two questions you ask above. More important is whether or
not auditing is enabled in the packages by your distribution. The audit
facilities from your question has been available almost 10 years. So, I wonder
if auditing is enabled.

-Steve