Watching over non-existent folder to maintain a generic audit.rules file

Florian Crouzat tech at floriancrouzat.net
Tue Jul 28 15:26:18 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm a bit new with auditd so excuse me if this question has been already
answered but I failed to find answers.

I'm in the process of replacing a FIM tool by auditd which is by far
more powerful but I wanted to describe all possibles files and folders
(or system calls) that I need to watch over in a generic audit.rules
files that I would deploy on thousands of hosts.
Unfortunately, I do not only watch over system-related files and folders
but also applicative ones (eg custom path where some private keys are
stored, etc) ..
My problem is that these folders do not exists on all hosts thus making
it impossible to write a generic audit.rules files.
As I said, I have thousands of hosts and I can't imagine deploying
different files on every hosts depending on the profile of the host.
I know puppet could help me for this kind of stuff but I don't have it
yet and even though, it would be difficult to configure.

How do you guys usually workaround this issue ? I'm pretty sure I'm not
the first one wanting to deploy a generic hardening across many hosts
(but maybe I'm the only one using auditd to watch over something else
than pure system-related stuff?

Thanks,
Florian