Error at compiling audit 4.2.2

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 18:18:04 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 03:14:26 PM Alarie, Maxime wrote:
> Not sure if you guys provide support for this,
>
> I am trying to compile auditd 4.2.2 and Iam using python 2.6..

I presume you mean 2.4.2. It should work for python 2.6.

> I get this error and I was wondering if it cou;s be fixed. Or If I
> absolutely need to use pythoin 2.7:
>
> Command entered: /configure --sbindir=/sbin --with-python=yes --with-libwrap
> --enable-gssapi-krb5=yes --with-libcap-ng=yes
>
> Error (checking header files section):
> Checking for header files
> checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
> checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
> checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
> checking for inline... inline
> checking size of unsigned int... 4
> checking size of unsigned long... 8
> checking whether MS_DIRSYNC is declared... yes
> checking whether AUDIT_FEATURE_VERSION is declared... no
> checking whether AUDIT_VERSION_BACKLOG_WAIT_TIME is declared... no
> checking whether to create python bindings... testing
> checking for python... /usr/bin/python
> checking for python version... 2.6
> checking for python platform... linux2
> checking for python script directory...
> ${prefix}/lib64/python2.6/site-packages checking for python extension
> module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib64/python2.6/site-packages configure:
> error: Python explicitly required and python headers found

Hmm...I see a typo in the output, but its not your problem. What configure is
doing is something like

ls -l `python -c "from distutils import sysconfig;
print(sysconfig.get_config_var('INCLUDEPY'))"`/Python.h.

> any tips would help, I can even use an older version if necessary.

You might need a python devel package. Its looking for the Python.h file.

> I just need to upgrade 1.8. (SLES 11)

Well, that is a problem. The audit 1.8 series has a different ABI than the 2.x
series. That means that functions were deprecated and new functions with extra
parameters were added, This means a lot of user space needs patching because
they call the wrong function and its gone. For the 1.8 series, there are no
real upgrades except doing the whole OS.