How can I install the latest version of Linux Audit on CentOS 6.8?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Jul 15 13:17:00 UTC 2016

On Friday, July 15, 2016 2:52:02 PM EDT Mateusz Piotrowski wrote:
> I’m trying to update the 2013 version of auditd on a just installed CentOS
> 6.8-i386.
>
> So far I’ve downloaded audit-userspace from GitHub[1] and I’ve faced a
> couple of problems:
>
> 1. README says that I should consult the README-install file. I cannot see
> this file. Where is it? 2. I consulted the INSTALL.tmp and since I’ve not
> got any ./configure file inside my clone I deducted I’ve got to run
> ./autogen.sh. I was missing some dependencies so I ran `yum install
> autoconf automake libtool`.
>
>  Then I ran `./configure --sbindir=/sbin --with-python=yes --with-libwrap
> --enable-gssapi-krb5=yes --with-libcap-ng=yes` but the command failed at
> this is a part of the log I got (the full log file is available here[2]):
>
>     configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-libcap-ng
>     Checking for programs
>     ./configure: line 13130: AX_PROG_CC_FOR_BUILD: command not found
>     Checking for header files
>     checking for python... /usr/bin/python
>     checking for python version... 2.6
>     checking for python platform... linux2
>     checking for python script directory...
> ${prefix}/lib/python2.6/site-packages checking for python extension module
> directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.6/site-packages configure: error:
> Python explicitly requested and python headers were not found
>
>  Have you got any idea what the problem is?

Probably missing dependencies that would have been detected by building from a
spec file.

> Is there an easier way to get the latest Linux Audit version on my system?

Why wouldn't you start with the distribution tar file?

http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-2.6.5.tar.gz

If you are creating a distributable tar file for compilation, that would assume
that you already had all dependencies solved on your system. The distributable
tar file above was created on a system with all dependencies solved and the
latest auto tools so that platforms are correctly detected.

If you want it packaged, then start with the Centos 6.8 spec file and adjust
accordingly. The spec file shipped is aimed at future systems that are systemd
based. So, you'd want to start with a spec file that was intended for the OS
that you are using.