A question

William Roberts bill.c.roberts at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 18:58:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 11:40 AM Ed Christiansen MS <edwardc at ll.mit.edu>
wrote:

> If you expect to pass any kind of security audit, the perms on
> /etc/shadow must be 0600.  Since it contains the actual password hashes
> no one can read it except root to prevent bad puppies from getting the
> hashes so they can reverse the hash by brute force on some other host.

Before everyone gathers the villagers, pitchforks and torches, I made a
mistake.
I crossed passwd with shadow in my response.

With that said, I was going to let it die with Frank's response, but I can
see folks
will keep at it. Just let it die. It's an off topic question related with
how linux permissions
work not with the audit subsystem.