A question

Stephen Buchanan stephenwb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 14:54:36 UTC 2018

The best way I can think of to let it die off would be to specifically
answer the OP's question (even though we've established that it's a Very
Bad Idea)

Add the following line to /etc/sudoers (using visudo of course):
(assuming the intended user is "localuser" as implied by the language in
OP, and 'which cat' returns '/usr/bin/cat')
localuser   ALL:/usr/bin/cat /etc/shadow