null pointer dereference regression in 5.7

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 12:56:45 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-22 21:01, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:01 PM Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, yes, I'm pretty certain the problem is that context->pwd is
> > > never set in this case.
> >
> > Does the ghak96 upstream patch in audit/next on 5.8-rc1 fix it?
> >         d7481b24b816 ("audit: issue CWD record to accompany LSM_AUDIT_DATA_* records")
> >
> > The avc is generated by common_lsm_audit() which calls
> > dump_common_audit_data() that now calls audit_getcwd() on the 5
> > LSM_AUDIT_DATA_* types that deal with paths.
>
> I would expect that it would resolve the problem being reported, which
> is good, but I'm not sure it is a general solution to the problem.  I
> suspect there is bigger problem of context->pwd not always having a
> "safe" value when the task exits or the syscall returns to userspace.

Agreed.  The easiest way to prevent this is to check for a null
ctx->pwd, but if it has a random unset or scribbled non-NULL (0x60)
invalid value, that won't help.

> > > Normally context->pwd would be set by a call to
> > > audit_getname()/__audit_getname(), but if there audit context is a
> > > dummy context, that is skipped and context->pwd is never set.
> > > Normally that is fine, expect with Richard's patch if the kernel
> > > explicitly calls audit_log_start() we mark the context as ... not a
> > > dummy?  smart?  I'm not sure of the right term here ... which then
> > > triggers all the usual logging one would expect.  In this particular
> > > case, a SELinux AVC, the audit_log_start() happens *after* the
> > > pathname has been resolved and the audit_getname() calls are made;
> > > thus in this case context->pwd is not valid when the normal audit
> > > logging takes place on exit and things explode in predictable fashion.
> >
> > The first two AVCs that were accompanied by syscalls had "items=0" but
> > the one that blew up had "items=2" so it appears the paths were already
> > present in the context, but missing the pwd.
>
> Yes, the issue is with context->pwd, although I suppose other fields
> could also be suspect.
>
> > > Unfortunately, it is beginning to look like 1320a4052ea1 ("audit:
> > > trigger accompanying records when no rules present") may be more
> > > dangerous than initially thought.  I'm borderline tempted to just
> > > revert this patch, but I'll leave this open for discussion ...
> > > Richard, I think you need to go through the code and audit all of the
> > > functions that store data in an audit context that are skipped when
> > > there is a dummy context to see which fields are potentially unset,
> > > and then look at all the end of task/syscall code to make sure the
> > > necessary set/unset checks are in place.
> >
> > Auditing all the callers is not a small task, but I agree it may be
> > necessary.
>
> Do you have a rough idea as to how long it would take to chase down
> all the code paths?  I'm asking not to rush you, but to figure out if
> we should revert the patch now to resolve the problem and restore it
> later once we are confident there are no additional issues lurking.

I figure 2-3 days.

I'm trying to remember the name of the tool to build a function calling
tree, either up or down.  Was it cscope?  Or is there something more
modern?  It will have some limitations due to op function pointers.

> paul moore

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems