The audit "context" and when to expect it.

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Fri May 29 19:01:49 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 1:59 PM Casey Schaufler <casey at schaufler-ca.com> wrote:
> What does a NULL audit context (e.g. ab->cxt == NULL) tell
> me about the status of the audit buffer? It seems like it should
> be telling me that the audit buffer is being created for some
> purpose unrelated to the current task. And yet there are places
> where information is pulled from the current task even when
> the cxt is NULL.

The simple answer is that a NULL audit_context indicates a standalone
record, meaning a record with a unique timestamp so that it is not
associated with any other records into an event.  If the audit_context
it not NULL then the information in the context is used to group, or
associate, all of the records sharing that context into a single
event.

This is just one example, but a non-NULL audit_context is how PATH
records end up being associated with SYSCALL records in a single
event.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com